Tenant Frequently Asked Questions


  • Do I have to turn in a 30-day notice?

    Yes, a 30-Day Notice is required to be turned in prior to the first of the month for it to be effective for the end of the following month.
  • How can I pay my rent?

    Rent is required to be paid through your tenant portal. Your tenant portal affords the opportunity to pay rent from anywhere and anytime you have an Internet connection. When you choose to pay your rent through e-check it’s free through the tenant portal. If you choose to pay via credit card, the processing company does require a fee to do this. You will be given secured login information before you move into your new home. If for some reason you must pay in office because your account is on certified funds only, a convenience fee plus GRT will be applied and due.
  • When I move out, what do I need to do to receive my full security deposit back?

    We advise that you remove all personal belongings and clean the house thoroughly including floors, walls, trim, windows, bathrooms, counters, cabinets, appliances. All carpets should be professionally shampooed. Gutters should be cleaned out. The roof should be free of leaves and debris. If you are responsible for lawn maintenance, then the grass and hedges need to be trimmed to a reasonable height and all planting beds should be free of weeds.
  • How long does it take to get my deposit back?

    We work very hard to get your security deposit back as quickly as possible. There are some items that we have to wait for in order to close the deposit out correctly. One of those items are ‘final’ utility bills. These are usually the more time-consuming item during the deposit return process. Also, if the home is not left in a ‘Rent Ready’ condition, we may also be waiting on third-party vendors to submit their invoices. In any case, we have 30 days from the last date of tenancy to mail an itemized ledger of charges (if any) and return of deposit amount (if any).
  • How is prorated rent determined?

    As a standard of practice, prorations are determined based off of an average 30-day month (365 days in a year divided by 12 months in the year = 30 days). This method takes into account the changing number of days in each month. The resulting number is the average number of days in each month, which is used to divide the total monthly rental amount to obtain the daily rental amount. Example; Rent is $1200.00 and move in day is on the 16th of Jan. $1200/30 to get the daily rental amount of $40.00. Take the $40.00 and multiply it by 16 days that is left in the month (this includes the move in day) to equal $640 of prorated rent.
  • What is GRT?

    Also known as Gross Receipts Tax. Here in the state of New Mexico all services are required to be taxed at the local GRT rate. This will be reflected in your tenant ledger.
  • What is Tenant Liability Insurance?

    This is an insurance carried by the tenant to protect the tenant and the home owner from tenant negligence and loss. ICPM does require tenants to carry this insurance at all times the tenant is in lease with ICPM. There are lots of companies that provide this coverage or can be purchased through our tenant portal software. The coverage provided through our tenant portal software has a zero (0) dollar deductible. One important fact to know is that Tenant Liability Insurance does NOT cover the tenant’s personal items in the home. It only covers any negligence that may have occurred, if applicable.
  • Should I Carry Renters Insurance?

    Yes! Although it is not required, we highly recommend it. Simply because the home owner’s insurance does not cover the resident’s personal items. For example, an electrical surge damages your TV, this is not the responsibility of the landlord. This is a claim for renters insurance.
  • Where do I get a mail key?

    To obtain a mail key, take your lease to the closest Post Office and request a mail key. ICPM nor the landlord provide mail keys.
  • What does my tenant portal do for me?

    We are happy to offer cutting edge technology and a powerful tenant portal that will allow you to easily manage your relationship with ICPM and your rental home at your own convenience wherever you have Internet access. Here’s what it does for you:
    • Pay Rent: We offer several payment methods, the most convenient way is to pay with e-check. You can even pay by credit card, just beware that the credit processing company does charge a fee for doing so. In your tenant portal, simply click the home tab and then “pay now.” You can also set up an autopayment to either pay a certain amount and on a day that you choose every month or to pay the full balance according to a day you choose. Autopay is set up to be a reoccurrence so you can set it and forget it.
    • Access Lease Documents: We make it easy for you to access your lease anytime on your portal along with other important documents that might be associated with your residency.
    • View Ledger: Have questions about your balance or want to make sure your payment applied to your account? Go to “Payments” click on “View Full Account Ledger” and your full accounting is at your fingertips.
    • Update Your Information: From time to time you may need to update your phone number or perhaps your emergency contact has changed. Worry not, you can update this contact information directly in your portal. No need to even make a phone call!
    • Upload Your Renters Insurance Policy: Perhaps you’ve gotten a new renters insurance policy but don’t want to make a trip to the office. That’s great because you can simply upload it directly to your portal making it easier and more convenient.


  • How can I submit a maintenance request?

    You can submit a maintenance request by simply logging into your Tenant Portal and submitting your request under the maintenance tab. You can also report maintenance by calling our office at 505-427-3434 and following the prompts.

  • What if I have an after-hours emergency?

    There are very few true after-hours emergencies. Please consult the FAQ called “What constitutes a maintenance emergency?” to know how to proceed. If determined to be a true after-hours maintenance emergency, please call our office at 505-427-3434 and following the prompts. We will have a maintenance team member who will start to promptly take care of the situation.
  • What constitutes a maintenance emergency?

    • Leaking water that cannot be stopped you. You should attempt to shut off water if possible and dry water the best they can.
    • Loss of heat if exterior temperature is below 35 degrees and/or interior home temperature is at or below 55 degrees. 
    • Loss of AC may be handled on weekend if inside temperature is above 85 degrees and/or the resident has a health concern.
    • Loss of use of toilet if there is only one bathroom in the home. 
    • Loss of use of shower if there is only one in the home.
    • Backed up / overflowing sewage.
    • Gas leak – You should immediately exit the unit and call utility company. Remain outside unit until they arrive. Call 911 if there is illness as a result of CO.
    • Substantial damage to home (fire, flood, tree fall, etc.).
    • Risk of electrical fire, sparking of electrical.
    • Possible theft or break in. Security of property.
  • Is my evaporative/swamp cooler performing correctly?

    Chances are that your evaporative cooler is working just as it should be. Evaporative coolers, even with peak performance, typically don’t cool more than 20-25 degrees. Please note that the temperature indicated in the white and light blue boxes below, should be measured at the inlet vent and not the temperature at the thermostat.

    Evap Cooler Chart

    Helpful tips to get the best performance from your evaporative cooler:

    • One window must be opened to vent warm air out of the home.
    • Open a window furthest from the cooler vent or in a room you are trying to cool the most. This will pull the cool air in the direction of the open window.
    • The window that is open should be open wide enough that a tissue should lightly suck to the screen but not wide enough where it will fall down.
    • Make sure the “Pump” is turned on prior to switching the cooler to “Low” or “High Cool” (Not all thermostats or on/off switches has a “Pump” only function).

    Is your home still not cooling? Check for these:

    • Make sure the water supply valve is open and water line without leaks. The water supply valve is typically found at an outside hose bibs or at the water supply line above the water heater.
    • Make sure the baffle plate or dampener is removed to allow for air flow.
    • Watch the helpful videos under the Tenants tab and subtab Maintenance to learn more.
    • Still not sure? Don’t be alarmed, submit a maintenance request and we’ll send an expert to help. You can learn how at the above FAQ called “How Can I Submit A Maintenance Request?”
  • Pest Extermination

    Any pest control problems must be reported within three days of occupancy. Any future infestations shall be your responsibility; with the exception when you have no direct cause; such as bats, birds, carpenter ants, termites or rodents in the wall due to a compromised house barrier, which shall be the Landlord’s responsibility.
  • What Maintenance Items am I Responsible For?

    • Not changing the air filter resulting in a failure of the heating or cooling unit. May be charged for servicing of the unit when an unchanged filter is discovered.
    • Not allowing access or failure to meet a vendor at an assigned appointment time when agreed upon and there is a vendor charge for the missed appointment.
    • Unreported maintenance
    • If there is a service call and a breaker is tripped.
    • When residents cause sewer stoppages/backups.
    • If the tenant or tenant’s guest cause damage to the property.
    • If the tenant reports a repair which does not require service.
    • Tenant requested light bulb or air filter replacement when it can be done with a 3-step ladder or lower.
    • Maintaining & regularly replacing refrigerator filters.
    • Clogged / misused garbage disposals.
    • Maintaining the batteries of smoke alarms and CO detectors.
    • Low water pressure due to clogged aerators on sink faucets, washer hookups, shower heads.
    • Items that can be fixed / replaced for less than $25.00 as per the lease.

Independence Capital is committed to ensuring that its website is accessible to people with disabilities. All the pages on our website will meet W3C WAI's Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0, Level A conformance. Any issues should be reported to support@propertymanagerwebsites.com. Website Accessibility Policy